Football tailgates and Sunday fundays are upon us! Between loaded nachos, creamy dips, and the classic wing bucket, mindful eating and healthy choices can pose a challenge. However, by planning ahead and bringing healthier options to the party, and trying EASY substitutions to your classic favorites, you can dodge the excessive empty calories and enjoy the fall football season guilt-free. Try some alternatives or swap out the ingredients in these popular items:
Swap traditional “Nacho’s” for:
- Kale-Pistachio Pesto Dip
- Kale Pesto White Bean Dip
- A Healthy “Nacho” Dip: Layer Vegetables (romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, avocados, chopped bell pepper, sliced black olives, and choice of jalapenos for a kick topped over a bean spread (mix 1 can refried beans, 1 can black beans, ½ c salsa, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp chili powder, ¼ c jalapeno slices).
Swap processed “Queso” for:
- Corn & Tomato Salsa: Add mango, pineapple, or peaches for a sweet fruity twist.
- Basic Avocado Guacamole: If you want to change it up with a surprise ingredient add hot sauce or cinnamon!
- Red Onion & Bell Pepper Guacamole
- Pico de Gallo: 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes, ¼ cup diced red onion, 1 Tbsp. diced jalapenos, 1 Tbsp. minced garlic, juice from 2 limes, 2-4 Tbsp. cilantro, salt/pepper to taste.
Swap bagged potato chips for:
Get in your source of vitamin A, fiber, and potassium without the sodium, fat, and potential guilt of mindless munching from your party potato chip bag!
Swap high fat meats like burgers and pulled-pork belly for:
Swap cream cheese and sour cream dips/spreads for:
Swap sweet candies and cookies for a few of our favorite Smart Sweets that will please a crowd: