I love to eat and drink fall’s beautiful and nutritious fresh fruits and vegetables! This delicious seasonal smoothie is bursting with beta-carotene and other important antioxidants like quercitin found in apples. This smoothie tastes great cool or even warmed up for a treat (omit the ice and warm almond milk before adding to blender if making into a hot beverage).
- 1 cup (200 g) cooked pumpkin (or pumpkin from a box or BPA free can)
- 1/2 tsp (3.5 g) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 g) chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp (3.5 g) apple pie spice
- Dash of ground ginger
- 2 cups (500 ml) almond milk
- 1 apple, cored
- Ice, as needed
- Roast pumpkin unless using boxed/canned pumpkin. To roast, preheat oven to 420 F (215 C) cut top off pumpkin and remove strings and seeds. Set seeds aside to roast as a snack.
- Cut pumpkin into 4 large pieces, removing bottom stem. Place flesh side down, skin side up in a baking dish. Add 1/4-1/2 in (1 cm) of water. Bake for 40-50 minutes until top of skin is brown and easy to remove from flesh. Scoop out pumpkin flesh and let cool. Refrigerate extra and use within 3 days.
- Add roasted pumpkin, almond milk, apple, cinnamon, apple pie spice, chia seeds, ice, ginger, honey to blender.
- Blend on high for at least 45 – 60 seconds, until smooth.
- Pour into glass and garnish with chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Pumpkin: butternut squash, acorn squash
- Apple: pear, peach
- Apple pie spice: pumpkin pie spice, more cinnamon and ginger
- Honey: agave nectar, maple syrup
- Almond milk: coconut milk
- Nutrition per serving:
- Fat10 g
- Saturated Fat0.5 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Sodium380 mg
- Carbohydrates54 g
- Fiber16 g
- Sugars29 g
- Protein 7 g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.