Headaches can be caused from a variety of reasons including dehydration, stress, tension, infections, inflammatory conditions, allergies, environmental factors, fatigue and irregular blood sugars. Drinking plenty of water is always helpful and juices can also help to offer relief due to the electrolytes and anti-inflammatory nutrients in the juice that are easily absorbed with the additional hydration. This juice is made up of nutrients that will help those nagging headache symptoms. It’s loaded with:
- Dark Leafy Greens – high in magnesium, potassium and calcium which have a nerve and muscle relaxing effect thus reducing inflammation and tension headaches. Learn more on the benefits of magnesium
- Pineapple – offers powerful anti-inflammatory compounds one of them being bromelain, this is said to help reduce headaches due to the reduction in inflammation
- Celery – the cooling effect of celery combined with the balance of electrolytes can be helpful to stop a headache in its tracks
- Cucumber – has a cooling effect and it’s a watery vegetable offering a hydrating juice
- Lemon – offers anti-inflammatory benefits with the addition of Vitamin C
- Ginger – there is current interest in using ginger for headaches due to its ability to reduce prostaglandin production and its reduction in inflammation and histamine. In a 2014 study published in Phytotherapy Research, 100 participants with migraine were given either ginger or sumatriptan, at the onset of five subsequent headaches. Sumatriptan and ginger powder were found to be similar in their effect on migraine relief
- ¼ pineapple
- 2 chard (silverbeet) leaves and stems
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 1 in (2.5 cm) piece of fresh ginger
- Wash all produce well.
- Peel the lemon.
- Add all ingredients through juicer and enjoy.
- Pineapple – apple, pear
- Chard (silverbeet) – kale, spinach, lettuce, watercress, arugula
- Spinach – kale, chard, lettuce, watercress, arugula
- Celery – celeriac root, cucumber
- Cucumber – celery, celeriac, zucchini
- Lemon – grapefruit, lime
- Ginger – turmeric, mint
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.