The first time I tried activated nuts I fell in love! They taste sweet, are softer to eat, and are more easily digested due to the activation process. Soaking the nuts then dehydrating them at a very low temperature may reduce some of the natural phytates that are present in nuts which may enable easier absorption of the minerals and vitamins that are present in nuts. This process makes them really plump and gives an almost roasted taste. This was a strange concept to me at first and I couldn’t believe how expensive activated nuts were to buy but I didn’t mind once I was addicted to them and thought they tasted worlds better. My favourites are activated pecans! I have done almonds this time, but you can do any nut you fancy or even a mix!
- 2 cups of almonds
- 1 tbsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Filtered water to cover the nuts during the soak time
- Place the nuts in a bowl, add the salt and stir through and cover with filter water, leave to soak for 12 – 24 hours.
- After soaking, rinse the nuts under running water.
- While they are wet you can add extra salt or spices to your nuts for extra flavor.
- Place on a tray and put them in the oven at the lowest temperature possible and leave for 12 -24 hours or use a food dehydrator. When they are really dry they are ready.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Prep time: 12 hours
Cook time: 12 hours
Total time: 24 hours
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.