Raw cacao is a very high antioxidant food containing up to 300 different antioxidant nutrients. It is said that cacao contains many more nutrients than its cooked heat-treated cousin cocoa powder. Raw cacao is cold pressed from the raw cocoa beans while cocoa powder is heated at very high temperatures. When health articles discuss the benefits of chocolate, they are not referring to the average chocolate bar but rather the nutrients in raw cacao. There is also some research that indicates eating chocolate with milk products decreases its health benefits.
In this smoothie you’ll soak in the many benefits of cacao while also satisfying a sweet tooth!
- 1 cup (140 g) of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) coconut milk
- Large handful of ice or 1 cup (235 ml) coconut water
- 1 date
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, about 45 – 60 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Blueberries – raspberries, strawberries
- Banana – avocado, strawberries, kiwi
- Coconut milk – coconut water, almond milk, cashew milk
- Date – 2-3 tsp honey, maple syrup or rice syrup
- Nutrition per serving:
- Fat7 g
- Saturated Fat2 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Sodium240 mg
- Carbohydrates82 g
- Fiber16 g
- Sugars50 g
- Protein 9 g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.