I love a good minestrone, it’s light, easy, healthy and delicious. I normally use extra vegetables in place of pasta so this time I thought I would try and incorporate a pasta-like vegetable chopped into short, thin pieces just like fettuccine. You could use any vegetable that you enjoy like zucchini or carrots but here I decided to try celeriac and it was a winner (even with my 18 month old hastily enjoyed this one)! That’s a win win.
- ½ celeriac root
- olive oil or coconut oil for sauteing
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped coarsely
- ¼ butternut squash, chopped
- 1 small white sweet potato
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes (BPA free) or 2 cups of fresh tomato sauce
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary) or 3 tbsp fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash and prepare, chop and slice all vegetables.
- Thinly slice the celeriac root into strips — this can be done with a flat slice spiralizer or a mandolin and chopping it a little more if needed or you can simply chop to your liking.
- Heat oil in large pot over a low to medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add in the celery, carrots, zucchini, butternut squash and sweet potato and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (celeriac, vegetable stock, tomatoes, salt, pepper and herbs) and bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 10-15minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Once cooked, serve and garnish with fresh parsley and savoury yeast or vegan parmesan and serve immediately.
Note: This soup will freeze easily or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Onion – leek
- Celery – celeriac root
- Carrots – sweet potato, pumpkin
- Zucchini – celery, broccoli
- Butter squash – pumpkin, sweet potato
- Sweet potato – orange sweet potato
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0mg
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.