It’s National Chocolate Day. And it’s almost Halloween. So that calls for these nutty (tasting and looking!) textured cookies that are sure to please everyone. They are a healthier option to your standard chocolate cookie because almonds and hazelnuts are high in protein, healthy fats and fibre along with vitamin E, B vitamins, iron, calcium and magnesium. You can also adjust the sweetness to your preferred taste — I went light on the sweetness but feel free to add a little more if your sweet tooth is calling your name.
- 3/4 cup (100 g) hazelnut meal
- 1 cup (150 g) whole almond meal (skins included – optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 – 6 tbsp honey or rice malt
- 6 dates, pitted and chopped (you can also use goji berries, dried cranberries, and raisins to make fun faces for Halloween)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325F or 150C.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl: hazelnut meal, almond meal, baking soda, cacao powder, cinnamon, salt. Mix well. Note: It’s best to sift the nut meals to avoid lumps.
- Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl: coconut oil, honey, vanilla. Stir to mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well to combine, until evenly coated.
- Spoon out teaspoon sized balls onto a lined or greased baking pan then press with baking paper or a fork.
- Since it’s Halloween you can get creative and make monsters with dried cranberries, raisins, dates or goji berries, or keep them simple.
- Bake in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes then let cool. Serve or store in the fridge in an air-tight container until ready to enjoy.
- Nut meal – interchange with any nut meal you desire such as brazil nuts, pecans or walnuts
- Cacao – carob
- Dates – raisins, currants, sultanas
- Honey, Rice Malt – maple syrup
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.