I think by now most people are aware that they should be eating more fermented foods. If you’re not up to speed yet, here are all benefits of consuming fermented foods! This is something that can be consumed while completing a juice-only Reboot plan to keep the bowels healthy and regular or at any other time to enhance good health. Once upon a time yogurt was the only commonly consumed fermented food in western cultures but now all things fermented have made a comeback with recipes from all around the world. This is super easy to make and a great way to support a healthy digestive system.
Here are some great articles on the benefits of a healthy microbiome:
- 3-4 fresh coconuts or 1 L of coconut water (must be room temperature)
- 2 probiotic capsules or water kefir granules/grains
- Sterilize a 1 L glass bottle or 2 smaller ones: You can do this by running it through the dishwasher on a hot cycle or if pyrex glass you can warm the bottles in the oven and allow to cool.
- Open the coconuts, strain the juice and empty this sterilized jars.
- Add the kefir or probiotic capsule contents and stir with a wooden, silicon or plastic spoon. Do not use metal utensils.
- Cover the top of the jars with a cheese cloth, nut milk bag or some old clean stockings and hold down with a rubber band or something to hold it into place.
- Store this in a dark area such as a cupboard for 24-48hrs. You will notice that it starts to turn a cloudy white colour and this means it fermenting well, when it is well fermented it should not be sweet and may be fizzy.
- Store in the refrigerator and consume 50-100 ml daily!
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.