Packed with flavor and spice, this soup will help to warm you up thanks to the metabolism-stimulating effect of its spicy flavors. The chili is hearty and helps to nourish your body with immune-boosting vitamins A and C from the red produce. And let’s not forget about the lovely lentils. They are filled with fiber, iron and plant-based protein. This soup is not only delicious, but it will help to keep you feeling fuller longer to power you through your busy day.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup (150 g) red lentils (brown and green lentils are good too)
- 20 oz organic, low sodium, strained or stewed tomatoes (organic tomato sauce is okay too)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 red bell peppers (capsicum), chopped
- 4 – 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tbsp each, basil and oregano
- Wash all produce well.
- In a medium to large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes
- Add chopped onion to the stockpot, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Once onion is browned, add lentils and continue to cook, stirring occasionally every 2-3 minutes for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, bell peppers, carrots, herbs and spices and salt and pepper; continue to cook the chili on medium/high heat until soup comes to a boil.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, lower heat to medium/low and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until lentils are completely cooked.
- Remove soup from heat and serve to be enjoyed immediately or save for later.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1g
- Protein 5g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.