Bitter is better! The bitter taste that comes from some fruits and vegetables has a very important place in our diet. Bitterness stimulates (as does sour) digestive enzymes which can improve digestion and bile production. There are numerous foods that have these important bitter properties.
Traditionally bitter foods were often consumed as an appetiser before your main meal to improve digestion. The radicchio in this juice is what gives it a nice bitter taste! It is high in vitamin K, folate, and has a high ORAC score as it is high in anti-oxidants due to the red colour.
The pulp of the radicchio and celery can be used in any salad or healthy coleslaw recipe, too! Need more ideas for your leftover pulp? Here are 9 ways to use it!
- 2 baby radicchio lettuce leaves (about 200 g)
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 apples
- 2 lemons
- Wash all ingredients well.
- Peel the lemon.
- Chop the produce to fit through the juicer.
- Juice all produce and enjoy!
- Radicchio lettuce – endive lettuce, red lettuce
- Celery – zucchini, cucumber
- Apple – pear, green pepper (capsicum)
- Lemon – Lime
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.