During the holidays, leftovers are pretty much always a constant. While some of the leftovers from the holidays may not be as healthful, there are other types of leftovers (veggies!) that are super healthy and make for a nice addition to salads and meals. In this salad I combined leftover root veggies (squash) with avocado and Brussels sprouts and made a simple mustard vinaigrette to add extra flavor. The great news about this salad is that you can add whatever leftovers you have in your house (try to keep them as fresh as possible) and make them into a simple and easy-to-make dish that’s great for lunch or dinner. To make it a complete salad, add a source of protein like turkey or chicken.
- 6 red or green lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup (100 g) roasted butternut squash
- 1/2 cup (50 g) brussels sprouts
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Optional: Any other veggies or leftovers you might have (cranberries, fruit, turkey/chicken or other)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry the lettuce, cut the avocado and get the leftovers ready to use.
- Arrange on two separate salad plates: 3 leaves of lettuce, followed by the veggies and avocado.
- In a small bowl using a fork mix together the salad dressing, then drizzle over each salad.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.