Who says vegan meals aren’t satisfying? This stick-to-your-ribs shepherd’s pie is hearty and filling, and this casserole easily serves 6. We used green beans, onion, carrot and navy beans for the filling, but use whatever fresh vegetables you have on hand. Peas, parsnips, Brussels sprouts or zucchini would all be tasty choices.
For a make-ahead meal, complete steps 1 through 4, than cover and refrigerate. Bake whenever you’re ready for about 40 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the top begins to brown.
- 3 large or 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups canned black-eyed peas or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add the sweet potatoes and boil for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, saute the carrots, onions and garlic in a large skillet with the olive oil. When the carrots begin to soften (about 5 minutes), add the green beans and cook for about 5 minutes more. Add the black-eyed peas or navy beans, thyme, tamari, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a large, 10-cup casserole dish. Drain and mash the potatoes with 1/2 cup non-dairy milk. Top the filling with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.