I love these yummy flax crackers because they’re tasty, healthy and filling. These crackers in particular are filled with mood-boosting properties to help not only fill our stomachs, but nourish our body and mind. The flax, hemp and chia have anti-inflammatory and mood-boosting healthy fats like plant-based omega 3’s. Omega-3 fatty acids have been found to help with making the key brain chemical, serotonin, that’s important for mood. Turmeric is also included in this recipe and it too helps to promote healthy brain chemicals, serotonin and dopamine. Finally, sunflower seeds in the recipe are a source of magnesium, a key nutrient for making healthy brain chemicals. It’s also key for muscle and nerve health too. Serve these crackers with your favorite dip like hummus or a white bean dip.
- 1 cup (165 g) ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp hulled sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp spirulina (optional)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the water and continue to mix together until the batter is a paste (you can also allow to sit on the counter without stirring for at least 2 minutes to allow thickening).
- Spread batter on the parchment paper (I like to use a sheet of cellophane wrap between my hands and the batter to prevent everything from sticking together) and spread to about ½ inch thickness or less.
- Place the tray into the oven and allow to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, about 10 minutes or more, before cutting into squares.
- Serve alone or with your favorite dip (like hummus!).
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.