The thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland that sits below your larynx (voice box), which has a long list of critical functions in the body.
The thyroid gland is responsible for our metabolic health, energy levels, the metabolism of protein, carbohydrates and fats, regulates heart rate and blood flow, oxygen consumption of cells, normal growth and development in children, fertility and reproductive health in adults, bone health and more.
Many people who have a thyroid condition don’t really understand their condition or how they can actively treat it naturally with great results.
People whose thyroid glands are not working adequately often experience:
- muscle lethargy
- feeling cold
- unexplained weight gain
- poor memory
- slow cognition
- thinning hair
- dry skin & hair
- bowel disturbances
- premature aging and slow heartbeat
Many of these factors increase the risk for other health complications such as obesity, diabetes and heart conditions. Even while taking medications and when blood works appears to look normal, people can still experience these symptoms on an ongoing basis.
Many healthy lifestyle and dietary changes can help reduce the severity of thyroid disease and change the outcome of the progression of this condition.
Hypothyroidism can be caused by many issues including iodine deficiency (often overlooked), localized radiation, some medications, thyroid surgery or a disorder of the pituitary or hypothalamus, but the most common type is Hashimoto’s disease, which is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid gland like it would a foreign pathogen. By supporting immune health and reducing inflammation you can work toward a better outcome with this disease.
A diagnosis of Hashimoto’s is often done with an autoimmunity test of the thyroid gland, these numbers can be in the hundreds to the thousands, and it’s important to work toward reducing these numbers.
Ways to naturally help your thyroid:
- Remove immune reactive foods – such as gluten, dairy, soy and goitrogenic foods (cruciferous vegetables) and other possible food sensitivities.
- Consuming an array of antioxidants – to reduce the inflammation of the thyroid gland and to help minimize the immune attack that is occurring.
- Supplementing with specific nutrients – Vitamin D, zinc, selenium and iodine are some of the nutrients that are important and necessary for a healthy thyroid gland and a healthy immune system.
- Thyroid environmental contaminants – a mountain of scientific evidence has shed light on how many toxins in our environment are contributing to poor thyroid health.
- Supporting our own detoxification pathways – vitamins, minerals, plant compounds and antioxidants play a vital role in our detoxification pathways, these nutrients help us to remove toxins. Juicing is a great way to increase our intake of these nutrients.
- Managing stress – stress plays a key role in the development of autoimmune diseases, with onset of symptoms commonly around an intense stressful period. Try counselling, meditation, yoga, journaling, exercise and more help to management stress.
- Consuming probiotic, prebiotic and gut healing foods – this helps to recover and heal the gut and the immune system.
- Avoiding unhealthy foods – trans fats, high omega 6 oils, refined and packaged foods, sugar, artificial sweeteners and other foods that can aggravate thyroid conditions and cause poor health.
Our very own 60 day Thyroid Reboot Plan includes all these principles to work towards healing your thyroid gland and reducing any symptoms that you may be experiencing.
See some of our amazing success stories from our Reboot method.