Coconut yogurt is a power snack. It can be a wonderful alternative to your regular dairy yogurt for people who may have a dairy intolerance or allergy or simply for people that prefer the taste of coconut. It’s also a great choice for those who want to vary their diet and enjoy all types of yogurt. This can be made to your own taste, the longer you allow the yogurt to sit the more sour the yogurt will become. You can enjoy this with fruit, nuts and seeds and mix in any other flavors that you enjoy such as vanilla or cinnamon.
- 2 cans (400 ml/13.5oz) coconut cream
- 1 tbsp agar flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp tapioca starch (optional – this makes it thicker)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 probiotic capsules (at least 50 billion)
- Sterilize a large glass jar or several or an easiyo container either in a hot wash in the dishwasher or in the oven (only glass). To sterilize in the oven, heat it to 100 F (40 C) and fill the jars with hot water and turn the oven off and place jars in the oven for 5 minutes. Empty and let sit.
- Pour both coconut creams into a medium saucepan and add tapioca starch, whisk this to mix the starch through and then sprinkle agar over the mixture (don’t stir) and heat this gently until it is at a point of simmering. Whisk gently on a low heat once it’s started simmering.
- Add the maple syrup and mix in and allow to cool down to 100 F (40 C).
- Once cool enough you then add in the probiotic powder, if it’s a capsule, break it open and mix in the powder and throw away the empty capsule or add yogurt.
- To ferment this coconut mixture in an easiyo canister (only fill the easiyo container up to the first line under the baffle with hot water, the hot water should not touch the yogurt container) , or in the oven with the door closed and light on (but not turned on) or in a dehydrator for 12hrs on 110F (45C).
- Ferment 12-24 hours depending on how sour you like it then store it in the fridge for 6-12 hours to set properly.
- Store in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Maple Syrup – honey, rice malt
- Agar Flakes – agar powder (1 tsp) or gelatin (1 1/2 tsp)
- Probiotic – 4 tbsp of store bought yogurt
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 24 hours (allows for fermentation)
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat8g
- Protein 1g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.