So what does it really mean when you step on the scale after one day on your Reboot, and you’re much lighter than the day before. Is it water weight? Is it real weight?
Let’s find out…
The average person’s body is comprised of approximately 60% water while the actual weight of the water in the body makes up 90% of the total body weight. On average, men contain more water than women due to having less body fat. Our body’s water weight is regulated by many factors which include hormones, hydration levels, sodium intake, electrolyte status, calorie intake, climate, physical activity, age, weight, sex, physical stress and emotional stress.
During the initial stages of any weight loss program or Reboot plan, rapid weight loss is completely normal for many people. When your calories are reduced, your body gets its required energy by releasing and burning stores of glycogen, which is a type of stored sugar found in the muscles and the liver. Glycogen holds onto water, so when glycogen is burned up for energy, it also releases the water it holds onto. This then contributes to the initial rapid weight loss that may accompany calorie reduction or Rebooting.
During this initial weight loss your body will also be burning up your fat stores as an energy source and this will continue on as you continue your Reboot. Water weight is something many people lose in the very initial stages of any weight loss plan or Reboot, so once we have been rebooting for more than a few days we are then burning up our fat stores, thus true fat loss is occurring.
While this is the case for many, some people may observe slower weight loss with very little water weight loss initially and may experience this at a later stage in their plan, while some people may not have any dramatic drops but rather a slow steady loss. People’s experiences can vary.
When transitioning slowly into the eating plans as advised through a Reboot, this dramatic water weight loss effect may be reduced, although the long-term fat loss will still occur.
It is important to know that even dropping a small amount of fat can positively impact your health by reducing your risk of diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.
To encourage fat loss while reducing possible muscle loss during a Reboot, we suggest:
- Keeping up with your green juices which contain more protein then other coloured juices. Here is more on Protein during your reboot!
- Adding in a vegan protein powder if you plan to Reboot for longer than 15 days.
- Exercising regularly which is an effective way to support healthy muscle strength and reduce muscle loss. Here is more on fitness during your Reboot and some great Reboot Fitness Workouts.
People can often find during a Reboot that they may experience weight loss plateaus! These are a normal part of any weight loss program but here are some pointers to help get it all moving again!
Important tips for supporting healthy weight loss and hydration:
- Consume the recommended amounts of fluids during your Reboot. Many studies indicate that adequate hydration supports weight loss by supporting overall reduced calorie intake, metabolic function, health and general well-being. It is important to understand that by the time you feel thirsty, then you have already lost around 2-3% of your body’s water. Mental performance, physical coordination and energy levels start to become impaired before thirst kicks in, typically around 1% dehydration. So drink up!
- Consume the recommended juices and more if needed. We recommend 4 – 6 juices per day during the juice only days, with each juice being 16-20oz (500-600mls), this ensures a high level of micronutrients, plant compounds and anti-oxidants to support a healthy metabolism, which supports fat burning while providing adequate calories.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep. Sleep supports healthy weight loss – remember if you snooze you lose!
- Manage stress levels. This helps support healthy cortisol levels and general hormonal health which may interfere with weight loss.
- Consume plenty of Reboot friendly foods and meals during the eating + juicing stages and forever!
- Maintain Healthy Habits. It’s important to re-educate and re-learn healthy eating habits to maintain your fabulous weight loss from your Reboot! Here is more on How to Keep the Weight Off for Good!