Butter, flour and sugar are the mainstays for baking shortbread, but this healthier version uses coconut oil, gluten-free flour and maple syrup. You’ll be surprised how much these cookies resemble the real thing. The matcha powder gives them a bright green color and a little extra antioxidant boost. Try this healthy take on shortbread cookies for a snack or festive dessert.
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, warmed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2.5 cups gluten-free flour (390g)
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Mix together coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and lemon juice in a medium bowl until fully combined.
- Add GF flour and matcha until thoroughly blended and form into a ball.
- Place your dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out evenly until it’s about ½-inch thick. Then use a cookie cutter or a knife to cut even cookies.
- Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. They should be lightly browned and firm.
- Let them cool for another 15 minutes or so before enjoying them. Serve with your favorite tea or lemonade.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: Makes 16-20 cookies
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.