I love avocados more than anything. I eat a whole one every day (not in one sitting but throughout the day an entire avocado is definitely consumed). I use them to make creamy sauces, indulgent raw chocolate mousse, and always in salads. I even use it in homemade “do-it-yourself” face masks to give my skin a refreshing and vibrant glow.
Consuming one every day may even be the reason I rarely get sick. An avocado a day might help keep the doctor away…
In just one avocado your body fills up on vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, high amounts of potassium and of course that “healthy” fat. It also helps improve the absorption of nutrients, reduces signs of aging and regulates your blood sugar.
I had never tried avocado in my homemade soups until now. Using the avocado as this soup’s base made it so rich, creamy, satisfying and delicious. Who needs Cream of Mushroom Soup with heavy white cream and butter when you can have this vegan delight instead?
This recipe was adapted from Paleo Plan.
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
- 1 cup (128 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), diced
- 1/4 small yellow onion, finely minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh basil
1. In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend avocado, lemon juice, garlic and hot water. Set aside.
2. Heat coconut oil in a medium pan with tall sides over medium-high heat.
3. Sauté mushrooms, red pepper (capsicum), onion, tomato, and basil until they begin to soften.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: 2 - 4
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat5g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.