Skip the bacon for breakfast and make this healthy and refreshing dish for a light and tasty breakfast that will help to keep you full without filling you out. Quinoa is naturally a good source of fiber and protein, which means you’ll be feeling full with plenty of energy throughout your morning. The added fiber from the fruit makes this little dish a nutrition powerhouse. In addition, due to their major anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, the blueberries in the dish are great for helping sore muscles to feel less sore more quickly.
For a sweeter taste, you can add a dash of honey or stevia – a lower calorie, but still healthy, option. To mix it up, you could add different fruits like banana, cherries or even almonds and hemp seeds.
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) almond milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 mango, diced
- 1 tbsp almonds, optional
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds, optional
- dash of honey or stevia for added sweetness, optional
- dash of sea salt
1. Combine quinoa and water in sauce pan and turn to medium/high heat.
2. Once the quinoa reaches a boil stir the pot, then lower the heat to simmer for about 15 minutes.
3.After 10-12 minutes on simmer, add the almond milk, blueberries and mango, stirring occasionally.
4. Let quinoa, almond milk and fruit simmer for 3 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat, then top with topping of your choice.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1g
- Protein 13g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.