Not that you need any more sweets this time of year, but this delicious dish gives you a little something to satisfy your sweet tooth while also keeping you filled with the many nutrients that sweet potatoes offer. Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamin A/Beta-carotene, an important antioxidant giving this veggie its orange glow, which also helps your skin glow. It’s also low in calories and glycemic index which means it has a slower rate of sugar absorption.
Enjoy this dish as a side to your holiday meal this week!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg, optional
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Combine all the ingredients, except sweet potatoes, in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat on the stove, and bring to a boil. Stir to coat the potatoes well.
- Add sweet potatoes to an oven-safe pan then drizzle them with the warm liquid mixture – be sure to coat the sweet potatoes well.
- Place the pan into the oven for 45 minutes until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve warm.This recipe was adapted from http://detoxinista.com/.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 1g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.