This hearty, healthy, vibrant gluten-free Meatless Monday meal is great for dinner, lunch or even breakfast! Full of phytonutrients, like lycopene, a member of the carotenoid family best known for its prostate cancer preventive and survivorship promoting properties, and curcumin found in Turmeric which has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cancer fighting compounds. Combining black pepper with turmeric can help make the anti-cancer compounds up to 1,000 times more bioavailable to the body!
- ¾ cup (150 g) dry green lentils
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 box (26 oz.) strained tomatoes
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- Dash of chili powder (add more, optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 ½ (300 g) cups brown rice
- 7 cups water
- Fresh cilantro or parsley to garnish
- Cook rice in a rice cooker or stovetop by combining rice with 3 cups water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Cook lentils in pot on stovetop. Boil 4 cups water then reduce heat to a simmer, add lentils. Cover but leave a slit in lid and simmer for 35 minutes until tender checking around 25-30 minutes to prevent overcooking.
- Sauté coconut oil, garlic and onion on medium heat in iron skillet or other stove top pan until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomato, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder, pepper, salt and turn heat down to low-medium.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until stew thickens.
- Serve stew over brown rice and garnish with cilantro or parsley
- Green Lentils – red lentils, yellow lentils
- Rice – quinoa
- Coconut oil – olive oil
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3.5g
- Protein 15g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.