Adding fruit to a salad always adds a soft sweet flavor that compliments many savory flavors. This salad can be served warm or room temperature. Have it as a meal or alongside other healthy dishes as a side dish.
- 2 large beets
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsps of cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 tsp of thyme
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 oranges
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup of walnuts
- ½ cup of olive oil
- orange juice
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of seeded mustard
- 2 tsp of honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Peel and chop the beets and sweet potatoes into quarters. Combine well with olive oil and thyme, then wrap each beet and sweet potato piece in foil and cook for 35 minutes or until tender (pierce with a fork or knife to check). Chop into smaller pieces.
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions.
- Peel the oranges thickly and squeeze the skin to extract the juice into a jar, remove the pith from the oranges into segments over a small bowl and collect the juice.
- Combine all the remaining dressing ingredients including the orange juice and shake well
- Combine the salad ingredients and drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix in and enjoy!
Beets – golden beets, carrots
Sweet potato – winter squash, pumpkin
Quinoa – brown or wild rice
Walnuts – any nut of your choice
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.