This seasonal delicious soup is high in protein and fiber, and is filled with lots of phytonutrient-rich veggies. On a cold fall day, this colorful soup will help to power you up with lots of vitamins and minerals that can help to boost your immune system.
The seasonal butternut squash that is added to this chunky chili is a good source of beta carotene that is good for your eyes and a good source of potassium and immune-boosting vitamin C. Butternut squash is also a great source of heart-healthy fiber that can help to keep you feeling full without weighing you down.
Make this easy-to-make soup for a cozy lunch or dinner meal that is healthy and will leave you feeling great!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped butternut squash
- 1/2 cup (85 g) uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (145 g) cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 cup (145 g) cooked red kidney beans
- 16 oz no-salt organic marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp red (cayenne) pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the pan is hot- about 2 minutes, add the onion, pepper, zucchini and butternut squash and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the quinoa and water over medium heat until it boils, then simmer for about 20 minutes– or until the quinoa is cooked.
- Once the quinoa is cooked add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool for about 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 9g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.