For those of us who like to indulge in an occasional sweet, like myself, do so without the typical refined sweeteners, white flours and hydrogenated oils! There are nutrient dense, whole food alternatives out there and I’m determined to find them all! I’ve noticed recently that SO many desserts require cream or icing of some sort so I made a mission this week to find a healthier version of a vanilla cream. I whipped this up in less than 10 minutes! Try this on any of your favorite desserts, or even as a fruit dip! I used my first raw vanilla cream on strawberries to make little Santas to be extra festive at this time of year.
Your kids will LOVE making this with you!
- 1 cup (150 g) raw cashews
- 1/4 cup (125 ml) filtered water depending on desired thickness
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, or a little more to taste a pinch of sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup (25 g) rolled oats (optional, for added thickness)
- a sprinkle of chia seeds
- 15 strawberries
- Add all ingredients to blender (or food processor) and blend until a smooth consistency forms.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving or adding to a dessert.
*If you want to make the Strawberry Santas, follow these remaining tips.
- Cut the stems off the strawberries so they stand upright on a flat surface.
- Cut off the tips to the strawberries and place to the side.
- Add about 1/2 – 1 tbsp of the cream to the strawberries.
- Place tip of strawberry on top of dollop.
- Add small dollop on top of the tip or “hat”.
- Place two chia seeds on the large dollop for “eyes”.
Prep time: 10
Cook time: 30 (in the fridge)
Total time: 40
Servings: 20 (1 1/2 cups total)
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.