Here in the U.S., today we celebrate the vernal equinox, aka the First Day of Spring! While for many, it has been a mild winter — it still feels invigorating to see the first blooms coming up out of the ground, to feel the warmth of the sun, and to leave work or school while it is still light out!
Here are some tips to start the season with a ‘Spring’ in your step!
1. Head back to the Farmers Market — The greenmarkets are beginning to show more signs of life with more vendors and a wider variety of produce. Take advantage of the new veggies that are beginning to show up at the local farmers markets: Asparagus, Artichokes, Fresh Fava Beans, Garlic Scapes and Fresh Herbs are great examples! Here is a handy chart of seasonal produce.
2. Get Outside — Longer daylight hours and warmer weather are a great reason to head out for a brisk walk or a bike ride. Breathe the fresh air and get the blood pumping!
3. Plant a Garden — Whether you are planning a full vegetable garden or a few window boxes of fresh herbs, there’s no time like the present. This chart give approximate dates for when you should start your seeds indoors and when to sow them in the garden.
4. Do a Reboot Express — Or really, whichever Reboot suits you best! Spring is a time to crawl out from that cocoon and celebrate life. What better way to do that than to give yourself an incredible amount of nutrition directly from fresh plant foods. Your body and mind will thank you!
5. Spring Cleaning — In addition to cleaning up the foods that you eat, try organizing even just one cluttered space. The peace of mind you will get from an efficient, clean space may be helpful in minimizing stress.
6. Take time to smell the blooms — Don’t forget to enjoy yourself, find moments to appreciate the season and the gifts of life, health, inspiration and strength.