Nothing warms you better than a large pot of chili on the stove. Try this version sans beans and full of hearty veggies, such as sweet potatoes and mushrooms. You add the greens at the end for an extra boost of nutrients. Kale is a great source of calcium, chlorophyll, iron, and vitamins A and C. This one-pot meal is easy to make on a busy weeknight.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (425g)
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes (250g)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped kale (70g)
- Add coconut oil, onion and garlic to a soup pot and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, sweet potato, vegetable broth (or water), chili powder, paprika, and salt.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and cooked through, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in chopped kale, and stir until kale is wilted.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy.
Optional topping: fresh cilantro or slices of avocado, for garnish
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.